Sonja N. Aoun is a family law and estate planning attorney. Ms. Aoun has worked with families throughout Northern Virginia for more than fifteen years helping to resolve their legal matters while providing peace of mind during life’s most difficult times. Ms. Aoun has earned the respect of clients and colleagues alike for her creative problem-solving, her effective trial advocacy, and her informed, compassionate, and ethical approach to family law and estate planning matters.
Ms. Aoun handles all aspects of family law including separation agreements, divorce, custody, visitation, property division, child support, spousal support/alimony, premarital agreements, post-nuptial agreements, enforcement of agreements, modification of orders, and adoptions of all types. Ms. Aoun also handles appeals of family law matters to the Virginia Court of Appeals and the Virginia Supreme Court.
Ms. Aoun has represented numerous clients in complex custody cases involving such issues as post-traumatic stress disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, and high conflict personalities. She has helped military families, state department families, and other families facing relocation work through difficult child custody issues. She has resolved numerous domestic law and estate issues for special needs families, blended families, LGBTQ families, high net-worth families, and families with closely-held businesses.
In the area of trusts and estates, Ms. Aoun implements legal plans that allow families to preserve wealth and ensure that spouses and children are well cared for. Ms. Aoun strives to help her clients avoid tax liability, probate court, guardianships, and conservatorships through thorough and careful planning. Her legal services include wills, powers of attorney, advance medical directives, trust creation and administration, probate of estates, and tax and Medicare planning.
Ms. Aoun has exceptional experience assisting families with special needs (disabilities and special education). Ms. Aoun has served as a guardian for incapacitated adults, and from that experience, is prepared to assist family members in need of petitioning to become a guardian or conservator of a loved one. Ms. Aoun is a founding member of the Fairfax County Special Education Parent Teacher Association (SEPTA) and a dyslexia advocate.
Ms. Aoun has been named to the Virginia Super Lawyers list since 2014 and to the Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers list since 2015. She received the Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award in 2015 and maintains the highest rating of 10.0 on Avvo.com.
Ms. Aoun frequently speaks at professional seminars addressing domestic law and estate planning issues. She volunteers as a mentor for law students at the Georgetown University Law Center through the Office of Career Strategy, and she has served as an attorney mentor through the Fairfax Bar Association’s mentorship program.
- Virginia State Bar, 2001
- District of Columbia Bar, 2002
- Georgetown University Law Center, Juris Doctor, 2000
- Georgetown University Bachelor of Science, 1995
Professional Associations And Memberships
- National Association of Professional Women
- Women Building and Investing in Success (WBIS)
- Virginia Women Attorneys Association
- Virginia State Bar, Family Law Section
- Volunteer Law Clerk, Ayuda Clinical Legal
- 2016 Advanced Custody and Support Issues Conference, “Recent Developments on the Rights of Same Sex and Unmarried Couples: Practical Implications”
- 2015 NBI Family Law CLE Conference, “Relocation, Social Media Evidence, Same Sex Divorce, And Other Current Issues”
- 2014 Second Saturday Conference, “Legal Aspects of Separation and Divorce”
- 2014 Family Law from A to Z Conference, “Discovery in Divorce”
- 2014 Divorce Litigation from Start to Finish, “Pretrial Motions Practice and Settlement Strategies”
- 2013 Second Saturday Conference, “Legal Aspects of Separation and Divorce in Virginia
- 2011 WBIS Fairfax Success Luncheon Conference, “What Every Small Business Owner Simply Must Know”
- 2010 Wills and Estate Planning Conference, “Three Documents and Why You Need Them”
- 2010 Small Business Owners Meeting Conference, “Top Traps for Small Business Owners”
1921 Gallows Road, Suite 750
Tysons Corner, Virginia 22182
Direct Telephone 703.883.9104
Main Telephone 703.883.0880