Bob Cox is a commercial trial attorney with over two decades of experience litigating all types of business cases in courts across the nation. Bob’s experience covers a wide range of litigation and enforcement matters involving:
- Accounting firms and auditors in commercial litigation matters, malpractice, and investigations and enforcement proceedings before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), and state disciplinary boards (e.g., Virginia Board of Accountancy);
- Business torts;
- Construction disputes;
- Creditors in civil and bankruptcy proceedings;
- Financial industry professionals in civil, criminal, and regulatory matters, including investigations and enforcement proceedings before the SEC and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA);
- Insurance coverage (represented both policyholders and insurance companies);
- Intellectual property;
- Lease disputes;
- Real estate disputes;
- Securities; and
- White collar criminal issues.
Bob has also represented parties in class actions and multi-district litigation (MDLs) in federal and state courts throughout the U.S.
Prior to joining Briglia Hundley PC, Mr. Cox was an Assistant Director in the PCAOB’s Division of Enforcement and Investigations for more than six years. While with the PCAOB, he handled numerous enforcement investigations and disciplinary proceedings against domestic and international accounting firms and auditors, including matters involving the Big Four and other Global Network accounting firms. He also coordinated enforcement matters with the SEC, FINRA, and foreign regulatory bodies.
Before the PCAOB, Mr. Cox was a partner at the largest litigation-focused law firm in the country where he handled complex antitrust, commercial, and securities litigation cases.
Mr. Cox has authored several articles and treatises chapters on topics involving securities, antitrust, and litigation. For example, he is co-author of “Chapter 11, Securities Damages” in Boushie, Spadea, & Cunniff, Calculating and Proving Damages (Law Journal Press 2011), a leading treatise on damages. He is also the author of Chapter 6, “Collateral Estoppel and Prima Facie Effect, Antitrust Evidence Handbook”, Third Edition (ABA 2016).
In addition, Mr. Cox has frequently spoken at professional conferences, training workshops, and continuing legal education courses, such as the FBI Academy at Quantico, VA and the Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants.
Mr. Cox is an active member of the Virginia State Bar. He has served as an elected member on the Virginia State Bar’s Disciplinary Sub-Committee for the Fifth District since 2018. He is also active in the American Bar Association serving as a Co-Chair of the Accountants’ Liability Subcommittee of the ABA Section of Litigation Professional Liability Committee.
Case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case. Results in past cases do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by the lawyer.
Accountant’s Liability and Securities Enforcement
- Investigated multiple failures by the auditor of a Japanese subsidiary of a U.S. manufacturer. In a settled disciplinary order, the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (“PCAOB”) censured and suspended for one year the partner of a Japanese accounting firm.
- Investigated multiple failures by the auditor of an Indonesian telecommunications company. In a settled order, the PCAOB censured and imposed a $1 million civil penalty on the Indonesian member firm for audit failure, noncooperation, and violations of the PCAOB’s quality control standards.
- Represented accounting firm, engagement partner, and engagement quality reviewer in formal investigation before the PCAOB.
- Represented an accountant in a disciplinary proceeding before the Virginia Board of Accountancy.
Commercial Litigation Matters
- Represented a pension fund in a multimillion-dollar, multiparty case alleging breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and breach of contract relating to the actions of a managing member of a limited liability company in the purchase of commercial real estate. The client prevailed following a successful appeal to the Maryland state appellate court and retrial in the Montgomery County Circuit Court.
- Represented a defendant in a case brought by a software vendor for alleged copyright infringement and breach of a software licensing agreement. After a one-week bench trial, the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado returned a verdict in favor of the defendant client as to all claims.
Insurance Coverage Matters
- Represented Blue Cross Blue Shield entity in litigation to obtain insurance coverage for RICO class actions. Matter settled prior to trial.
- Member of fourteen attorney trial team which defended a foreign insurance company in an insurance coverage claim brought by an insured company for indemnification of costs of environmental clean-up of Exxon Valdez oil spill in a five-week jury trial in Texas state court. Case was settled on appeal.
Securities Fraud Matters
- Represented two victims of a Ponzi scheme in a federal court action to recover against the fraudster’s insurance policies. In a settlement on the day of trial, the clients fully recovered on their prior state court judgments for their investments, interest, punitive damages, and attorney’s fees.
- Defended a telecommunications company in a class action by holders of securities alleging accounting fraud in the company’s capacity swaps, tax indemnities, and lease commitments. The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia dismissed the complaint with prejudice and without leave to replead.
- Represented a gold mining company in a securities fraud class action involving gold hedging operations at mines around the world. Case involved a $5 billion mark-to-market loss on the hedge book and allegations regarding earnings forecasts.
Bob’s Professional Accomplishments
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Accountants and Professional Liability
- Securities Litigation, Enforcement, and Regulation
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- University of Virginia Juris Doctor
- University of Virginia M.B.A
- Duke University Bachelor of Arts
1921 Gallows Road, Suite 750
Tysons Corner, Virginia 22182
Direct Telephone 703.883.9105
Main Telephone 703.883.0880