Brian J. Lubkeman
Brian Lubkeman has practiced law for over 30 years, with a diverse focus encompassing the areas of commercial real estate, corporate matters, and Virginia local and state government law. In his career, he has worked both in-house in municipal government and for small and large law firms.
Mr. Lubkeman advises clients on complex real estate transactions (both developed and raw-land transactions, from acquisition through disposition); real estate development matters; commercial lending transactions (for borrowers and lenders); and commercial leasing – both landlord and tenant representations – for public and private companies, across all property types, including retail, commercial, industrial and specialty leasing. He also has assisted clients with the establishment and governance of property owner associations, with an emphasis on residential and commercial condominium projects, large residential developments, sophisticated mixed-use properties, and community development associations.
He also advises on corporate governance and structure, including entity selection, implementation of policies and procedures, and corporate best practices. Further, he represents clients in business acquisitions as well as mergers of small to mid-sized businesses of all types.
Mr. Lubkeman also has significant experience in local government and municipal law. Since 2005, he has served as the appointed City Attorney for the City of Fairfax, Virginia. In this position, he oversees the legal representation of all areas of City government, including legal advice and counsel to the city council, city manager, and department heads, community development and planning projects, zoning matters, public works and utility concerns, procurement issues, franchise matters, and personnel and public safety department issues, among other responsibilities. He also draws upon his corporate and real estate knowledge to provide cogent, efficient and effective legal and business advice and counsel on economic development opportunities, community development and planning projects, local government property portfolio management, tax assessment appeals and other transactional and litigation matters. He also supervises the prosecution of misdemeanor and traffic offenses within the City of Fairfax.
Mr. Lubkeman previously served as interim City Attorney for the City of Falls Church and as City Attorney for the City of Manassas Park, and, prior to entering private practice, he was with the Fairfax County Attorney’s office where, among other duties, he served as counsel to the Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority. Finally, he works with other attorneys and legal professionals at the firm to provide outside counsel services on a variety of matters, both transactional and litigation cases, to other municipalities and authorities within the Commonwealth.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member; Vice Chair, Board of Governors, Virginia State Bar Local Government Section, 2018-Present
- Member, Fairfax Bar Association
- Member; Chair of Law School Liaison Committee, Local Government Attorneys of Virginia, 1992-Present
- Member; Chair, 2007-2010, Real Property Section, Fairfax Bar Association
- Member; President, 2011-2012; Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary Club of Fairfax
- Board of Directors, 2011-2015, Fairfax Symphony Orchestra
Brian’s Professional Accomplishments
Areas of Practice
- Residential and Commercial Real Estate
- Corporate Governance and Structure
- Local Government and Municipal Law
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Certifications, Honors, and Awards
- Named Best Lawyers® 2017, 2020 and 2024 Municipal Law “Lawyer of the Year” for Washington D.C. metropolitan area
- Listed in Best Lawyers®: Municipal, Real Estate, and Condemnation and Eminent Domain Law 2016 – 2024
- Listed in Northern Virginia Magazine Top Lawyers Listing, Real Estate Law, 2017-2020
- Legal Elite, Virginia Business, 2010
- University of Virginia School of Law Juris Doctor, 1992
- University of Virginia Bachelor of Arts 1988