Brian Lubkeman has practiced in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area for over 25 years, concentrating on complex real estate transactions (both developed and raw-land transactions, from acquisition through disposition); real estate development matters; commercial lending transactions (for borrowers and lenders); and commercial leasing (both landlord and tenant representations, for public and private companies, across all property types, including retail, commercial, industrial and specialty leasing and defense contractor leases). He also has assisted clients with the establishment and governance of property owner associations, with an emphasis on residential and commercial condominium projects, large residential developments, sophisticated mixed-use properties, and community development associations. In addition to his real estate practice, Mr. Lubkeman also advises clients in the areas of corporate governance and structure, including entity selection, implementation of policies and procedures, and corporate best practices.
Mr. Lubkeman also has significant experience in the area of local government and municipal law. Since 2005, he has served as the City Attorney for the City of Fairfax, Virginia. In this position, he oversees the legal representation of all areas of City government, including legal advice and counsel to the city council, city manager, and department heads, community development and planning projects, zoning matters, public works and utility concerns, procurement issues, franchise matters, and personnel and public safety department issues, among other responsibilities. He also supervises the prosecution of misdemeanor and traffic offenses within the City. Mr. Lubkeman previously served as City Attorney for the City of Manassas Park, Virginia and, prior to entering private practice, he was an Assistant Fairfax County Attorney where, among other duties, he served as counsel to the Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority (FCHRHA).
Mr. Lubkeman has a strong personal commitment to pro bono representation and community service.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Board of Directors, Virginia State Bar Local Government Section, 2018-Present
- Member, Fairfax Bar Association
- Member, Local Government Attorneys of Virginia
- Member; Chair, 2007-2010, Real Property Section, Fairfax Bar Association
- Member; President, 2011-2012; Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary Club of Fairfax
- Board of Directors, 2011-2015, Fairfax Symphony Orchestra
Brian’s Professional Accomplishments
Areas of Practice
- Residential and Commercial Real Estate
- Corporate Governance and Structure
- Local Government and Municipal Law
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Certifications, Honors, and Awards
- Named Best Lawyers® 2017 and 2020 Municipal Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Washington D.C.
- Listed in Best Lawyers®: Municipal, Real Estate Law 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
- Listed in Northern Virginia Magazine Top Lawyers Listing, Real Estate Law, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Legal Elite, Virginia Business, 2010
- University of Virginia School of Law Juris Doctor, 1992
- University of Virginia Bachelor of Arts 1988
Past Employment Positions
- Partner, McGuireWoods
- Assistant Fairfax County Attorney
1921 Gallows Road, Suite 750
Tysons Corner, Virginia 22182
Direct Telephone 703.883.0206
Main Telephone 703.883.0880