Amy Owen joined Briglia Hundley after founding a successful, woman-owned law firm that specialized in commercial litigation, employment law, and estate planning throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. After graduating cum laude from Wake Forest University in 1983, Ms. Owen attended law school at the University of Florida, College of Law, where she graduated with honors in 1986 and was a member of the Order of the Coif. She is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts in the Commonwealth of Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia. Ms. Owen is an experienced commercial litigator. For many years, she handled complex cases involving financial institutions, fidelity issues, insurance coverage, employment matters, real estate, commercial disputes, and business torts. Today, her practice is focused primarily on employment counseling and investigations for executives and management.
Ms. Owen has a long history of volunteering her legal skills to support the community. She served as a Commissioner for the Fairfax Human Rights Commission from 2009-2015. She was also appointed by the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors as a representative on the Community Action Advisory Board. She is an active member of the Fairfax Bar Association where she has participated for decades in the Pro Bono Employment program in collaboration with Legal Service of Northern Virginia. She was a founding board member of the Washington Women’s Leadership Institute and served on the board for Leadership Fairfax. She served on the board for Second Story and continues to provide legal support to this local organization whose mission is to help at-risk youth.
She is a member of the Virginia, Maryland, and District of Columbia Bar Associations, the District of Columbia Women’s Bar Association, the Northern Virginia Women Attorneys Association, the Northern Virginia Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, and the American Bar Association TIPS/FSLC. Ms. Owen has received numerous awards for her excellence in the legal field, including being named a Legal Elite by Virginia Business magazine, being recognized by Super Lawyers, and receiving the Henry Carrico Pro Bono Award in 2012 for her outstanding commitment to community service.
Areas of Practice
- Executive Contracts
- Employment Law
- Commercial and Business Litigation
- Business Planning
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Fairfax Bar Association
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Women’s Bar Association
- Member, Northern Virginia Women Attorneys Association
- Member, American Bar Association
Certifications, Honors, and Awards
- Best Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, Washington D.C.
- Women in The Law Top Peer-Nominated Lawyers
- Listed in Best Lawyers 2013 to Present
- Listed in Super Lawyers 2012 to Present
- Top Attorneys in Washington, D.C.
- Legal Elite, Virginia Business
- Henry Carrico Pro Bono Award, 2012
- University of Florida Juris Doctor, 1986 Order of the Coif
- Wake Forest University Bachelor of Arts cum laude, 1983
Past Employment Positions
- Principal, Cochran & Owen, LLC
- Principal, Associate, Miles & Stockbridge, P.C.
- Principal, Richards McGettigan Reilly & West, P.C.