Amy Owen joined Briglia Hundley after serving as a founding member of a successful, woman-owned law firm that specialized in commercial litigation, employment law, and estate planning throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. After graduating cum laude from Wake Forest University in 1983, Ms. Owen attended law school at the University of Florida, College of Law, where she graduated with honors in 1986 and was a member of the Order of the Coif. She is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts in the Commonwealth of Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia. Ms. Owen has a commercial litigation practice with substantial experience involving financial institutions, fidelity issues, insurance coverage, employment matters, real estate, commercial disputes, and business torts.
Several years ago, Ms. Owen was appointed by the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors as a Commissioner for the Fairfax Human Rights Commission. She continues to serve in that capacity. She was also appointed by the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors as a representative on the Community Action Advisory Board. She is an active member of the Fairfax Bar Association where she served as the secretary of the Employment Law Section.
She is a member of the Virginia, Maryland, and District of Columbia Bar Associations, the District of Columbia Women’s Bar Association, the Northern Virginia Women Attorneys Association, the Northern Virginia Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, and the American Bar Association TIPS/FSLC. Ms. Owen has received numerous awards for her excellence in the legal field, including being named a Legal Elite by Virginia Business magazine, being recognized as a SuperLawyer, and receiving the Henry Carrico Pro Bono Award in 2012 in recognition of her commitment to service of her community.
Ms. Owen has been a resident of Fairfax County since 1988. She is a 1999 graduate of Leadership Fairfax and served on its Board of Directors. Ms. Owen also serves on the Board of Directors for Alternative House, the Abused and Homeless Children’s Refuge. She, along with other attorneys in the firm, volunteers at Legal Services of Northern Virginia in the pro bono employment law program.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Fairfax Bar Association
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Women’s Bar Association
- Member, Northern Virginia Women Attorneys Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Alternative House
Amy’s Professional Accomplishments
Areas of Practice
- Commercial and Business Litigation
- Employment Law
- Business Planning
- Real Estate Litigation
- Financial Services Litigation
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Certifications, Honors, and Awards
- Listed in 2017 Best Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, Washington D.C.
- 2016 Women in The Law Top Peer-Nominated Lawyers
- Listed in 2016 Best Lawyers, Washington D.C.
- Listed in Best Lawyers 2013 to Present; Best Attorneys in Virginia
- Listed in Super Lawyers 2012 to Present
- Top Attorneys in Washington, D.C.
- Henry Carrico Pro Bono Award, 2012
- Legal Elite, Virginia Business
- Leadership Fairfax
- University of Florida Juris Doctor, 1986 Order of the Coif
- Wake Forest University Bachelor of Arts cum laude, 1983
Past Employment Positions
- Principal, Cochran & Owen, LLC
- Principal, Miles & Stockbridge, P.C.
- Principal, Richards McGettigan Reilly & West, P.C.