Published 07/30/20 –
Just about every kind of court case is moving online. Whether you are a lawyer or a party, here are a few quick tips to prepare yourself for the upcoming hearing:
- Test the program and connection in advance – even if you’ve used the system before. Software updates can take even experienced Zoom or WebEx users off-guard, and you do not want to find out you don’t have yourself set up properly only a few moments before the hearing starts.
- Log in at least fifteen minutes in advance. Prepare your workspace at least thirty minutes in advance.
- Make sure you’ve noted any alternate call-in numbers, meeting IDs, passwords, etc. on a piece of paper in front of you just in case your computer decides to install a software update when you’re trying to log in to your hearing.
- Dress appropriately for court. The judge is going to be attired professionally and will expect the same of all participants.
- Lawyers may want to consider using an external microphone and possibly a ring light to ensure they can be easily heard and seen by the judge.
- Questions, contact your lawyer a few days in advance to ensure you are ready for your court hearing.