Dick Craig is a commercial litigator with a strong background in real estate and title insurance law. He primarily concentrates in the resolution of defects in the title to real property as they affect the policy obligations of title insurers, the rights of property owners, and the security rights of mortgage lenders and holders. He also represents borrowers and lenders in transactional matters involving the sale, purchase, and financing of real estate. His practice also includes representation of clients in administrative, regulatory, and zoning and land use matters.
Mr. Craig joined Old Republic National Title Insurance Company in 1994 as Area Counsel with responsibility to underwriting and claims for Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. In 1995 he assumed the position of Vice President, Area Manager and Counsel, and was responsible for company operations until 2006 when he entered private practice. In addition to practicing law, Mr. Craig worked for several years as a builder and developer, gaining experience in site acquisition, real estate development, architectural design, and residential constructions.
Mr. Craig earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from the School of Government and Public Administration at American University. He received his Juris Doctor from The Washington College of Law at American University in 1970. Dick also served in the United States Air Force for four years and the Air Force Reserve for two years. He is admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia, including the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Land Title Association
- District of Columbia Land Title Association
- Fairfax County Fair Housing Task Force
- LORMAN Distinguished Faculty Member
Dick’s Professional Accomplishments
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate Litigation
- Commercial and Business Litigation
- Financial Services Litigation
- Administrative and Regulatory matters
- Zoning and Land Use matters
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
Certifications, Honors, and Awards
- Leadership Fairfax (2007)
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- VLTA, December 2012, “Claims on Steroids – How They Affect Us”
- National Business Institute, June 2012, “Understanding Title Insurance”
- LORMAN, January 2011, “Title Insurance and Title Examination”
- Conestoga College, January 2010, “Avoidable Title Issues”
- VLTA, Annual Convention, June 2005, “Virginia Foreclosures”
- American University College of Law Juris Doctor, 1970
- American University Bachelor of Arts 1967/li>
Past Employment Positions
- Of Counsel, Cochran & Owen, LLC
- Area Manager and Counsel, Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
- Principal/Director and General Manager, Peoples Title Agency, Inc.
- Veteran, United States Air Force